4 Years / 8 Semester Programme
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology(B.Sc. CSIT)
Affiliation: Tribhuvan University
Faculty: Institute of Science and Technology
Duration: 4 years
Academic System: Semester Based
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology (B.Sc. CSIT) is a four years course program of Tribhuvan University designed to provide students with all sorts of knowledge in the field of Computing and Information Technology.
The program involves, in addition to conventional lectures, a great deal of practical and project works. The program develops the underlying principles of both Computer Science and Information Technology and shows how these principles can be applied into the real world problems. This program develops the skills that are essential for both computer professionals and IT specialists.
The design and implementation of B.Sc. CSIT course offers new challenges when compared to the traditional computing environment. The recent emergence of global business, new technologies for data processing and data communication / networking environment, equip specialized science graduates to focus on professional careers in Information Technology. This course provides the students with adequate theoretical and practical knowledge which will enable them to effectively participate in solving the complex problem of the IT industry.
Mission of the Course
The mission of the B.Sc. CSIT course is to prepare the students to pursue career advancement in the field of information technology. At the completion of this degree, a student will be able to design the real world e-media products, developing theories to evolve new technologies or creating technical solutions to hardware and software problems, depending on the chosen area and electives.
The main aims of the B.Sc. CSIT program can be enlisted as follows:
- To offer intensive knowledge in the field of theory, design, programming and application of computers.
- Providing an in-depth understanding and experience with computer systems.
- Developing creative and analytical skills that provides basis for technical problem-solving.
- Equipping students with the technical knowledge required for an IT professionals to handle multi-tasking and multi-programming situations and to assess and develop computer based solutions.
- Imparting knowledge of computer and programming logic environment in IT.
- To foster knowledge of advanced IT applications in different business sectors.
- To provide intensive cognition in the field of functional knowledge of hardware system and the necessary knowledge of computer software system.
Salient Features of the Course
- New course design meeting the global ICT changes and updated curriculum contents.
- In addition to conventional lectures, a great deal of practical and project works.
- Develops the underlying principles of both Computer Science and Information Technology and shows how these principles can be applied to solve real world problems.
- Builds up the skills that are essential for both computer professionals and researchers including Software developers, Computer systems analysts, Network administrators, Computer programmers, Database administrators, Web developers, IT managers, etc.
- Semester based program of Tribhuvan University having international bilateral relations.
Eligibility to Study
The candidate applying for B.Sc. CSIT program:
- Should have successfully completed a twelve year of schooling in the science stream or equivalent from any university, board or institution recognized by TU.
- Should have secured a minimum of ‘C’ grade in the 10+2 or equivalent.
- Should have successfully passed the entrance examination conducted by TU securing at least 35% marks.
- Compiled with all the application procedures.
»» All three: Biology, Physical and Computer group students of +2 level are eligible to apply for the course.
Admission Criteria and Entrance Exam
A student eligible to study the B.Sc. CSIT course should collect and submit the application form from any of the B.Sc. CSIT colleges. The applications generally opens during the month of Shrawan or Bhadra every year. All students must pass the Entrance Examination conducted by Institute of Science and Technology (IOST), Tribhuvan University in order to qualify to enroll in the B.Sc. CSIT program. The entrance examination is of 100 full marks with a pass marks of 35 consisting of objective type questions of English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry subjects of 10+2 or equivalent.
The B.Sc. CSIT curriculum is designed by closely following the course practiced in accredited international universities and institutions, subject to the condition that the intake students are from twelve year of schooling in the science stream or equivalent from any university recognized by Tribhuvan University. In addition to the core computer science course and elective courses, the program offers service course to meet the need of high technology applications. The foundation and allied courses are designed to meet the need of undergraduate academic program requirements, and the service course are designed to meet the need of market demand and fast changing computer technology and application. Students enrolled in the four year B.Sc. CSIT program are required to take courses in design and implementations of computer software systems, information technology and foundation of the theoretical model of computer science and functional background of computer hardware. All students are required to complete a minimum of 126 credit hours of computer science and allied courses.
B.Sc. CSIT program comprises of the following courses:
|Computer Science Core Courses||75|
|Natural Science Elective Courses||6|
|Social Science & Management Courses||6|
|Computer Science Elective Courses||15|
|Internship and Project||9|
|Total Credit Hours||126|
The general teaching pedagogy includes class lectures, group discussions, case studies, guest lectures, research work, project work, assignments (theoretical and practical), and exams, depending upon the nature of the subject. The teaching faculty will determine the choice of teaching pedagogy as per the need of the course.
In the final semester, students are required to complete a six credit (minimum twelve weeks long) internship as a part of the course requirement. Industry is the crucial requirement of the Internship course and this will have to be secured before getting started with the course. The work that students perform during the Internship is supervised by the faculty members as well as by representatives from the participating industries.
The score of the students is evaluated on the basis of the percentage secured in the semester exam. The grading system is maintained on the foundation of the percentage secured and is accompanied as follows:
- Distinction: 80% and above.
- First Division: 70% and above.
- Second Division: 55% and above.
- To Pass: At least 40% of the marks must be secured.
B.Sc. CSIT graduates have a prosperous career opportunity at different software publishing firms, scientific research and development organizations, government and non-government institutions, private and public organizations, telecommunications, computer networking companies etc. where they design and implement software, develop theories to evolve new technologies, build effective ways to solve computing problems and many more especially as:
- Software Developers
- Web Developers
- Network Administrators
- Database Administrators
- IT Managers/Officers
- Ergonomics Program Designers
- Computer System Analysts
- Project Managers
- Document Specialists
- Information Security Analysts
- Information System Auditors
- Artificial Intelligence Specialists
- Technical Writers
- Information System Managers